Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sexism...

It's a harsh word I know, but I was dumbfounded to see it in the corner of the world where I did.

I was interviewing for a DJ gig at a gay club. I am super cocky (no pun intended guys) so I like to think that I am interviewing the club. In a way it's good I think like that because it once again saved me from what could be a very unsatisfactory engagement.

The owner, a Dutch gay guy told me I couldn't play rock... Fine, I don't like to anyway, so far so good. We started discussing time-slots and I said "before we do that, I have a choreographer, maybe we need to discuss that first". He asked me what that was, I explained and he said "we don't do dance hostesses". I told him that I didn't think he understood what choreography was all about, especially since he kept insisting on calling Emy's job that of dance hostess.

The guy said that he perfectly understood but that the club simply would not employ a hostess. I was going to get into my "She is not a hostess, she is a choreographer" routine, when it hit me... This guy simply has something against women! I asked if it would make a difference if the choreographer was lesbian. "Well," the guy said "I got nothing against women." You know what is coming next don't you?

"Some of my best friends are women."

Eureka! While it's OK to be a woman, a heterosexual woman even, you can't be employed in his gay club. DISCRIMINATION! He then rambled on and on about how much trouble he had in the past with the female employees of his club. That's like me saying I will not work with Turks because they all smell like goat manure.

In the real world, we have laws against this. In the US it' called EOE, Equal Opportunity Employment. His rational was that he wasn't in the US and besides this was SL. So as long as you are a guy, you are OK. Gay or not. If you are a woman, you are "welcome" as a patron (altough it's likely not encouraged), but you can't work there. Lesbian or otherwise.

Sexism!

1 comment:

  1. I really think you should have just told him I was Shemale...

    ReplyDelete