Monday, August 17, 2009

A feel good (real life) story...

Keesha is five years old. He lives in my neighborhood and this year he's going to kindergarten for the first time. He sports a big Mohawk and loves my dog. Good thing, my dog loves him back. So when I was on a dog walk and the five year old Bassett spotted the five year old kid, cuddles ensued.

Keesha, or so his 3rd grade sister told me, never washes his hands after petting an animal. I don't think Keesha or the dog cared! Keesha's sister however... did care about all the dog hair on the boy's school uniform pants. "Hey Tulsa," Keesha said to me "Help me get it off?"

I squatted down next to the boy and "dusted" off his pants... He smiled, and unwarranted, gave me the biggest hug a five year old could give a man more than three times his size. He laid his hand on my shoulder and asked, pointing at the dog, "is going home??" I replied that I thought that was probably best (seeing how dinner was brewing). He gave me a knowing nod and said, "Yeah, me too!"

He and his sister ran off before I could say goodbye... Sleep well Keesha, I hope you have a wonderful day in school tomorrow. Learn lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment