Thursday, July 23, 2009

P-Funk!

My two (so far) regular SL platter-spinning gigs (I feel like a Chinese acrobat saying that) are all about danceable music... Groove! It's Funk, with some disco (the good kind) thrown in the mix. Must be doing something right because even Feenix loves it (and she and I have a radically different taste in music)

(I am also trying to set the world record for most paretheses in one blogger post)

The name of those epic events (or failures depending on who you ask) is Party Funk. A name I didn't personally came up with (or it would have been quickly redubbed: Farty Punk). It was once again that nag of a sister of mine (she really rules my SL, she only pretends to let me be in control). But what she doesn't know (can you believe she had never heard of Parliament, George Clinton's band?) is that there is actually a genre called P-Funk...

"Make my funk the p-funk, I want my funk uncut, make my funk the p-funk, I wants to get funked up, I want the bomb, I want the p-funk"...

So, unwittingly she very aptly named my show (I should say our show, since she does the choreo). Nobody knows what the P in P-Funk stands for really. The etymology of the term P-Funk is subject to multiple interpretations. It has been identified alternately as an abbreviation of "Parliament-Funkadelic", "pure funk" or "Plainfield Funk", referring to Plainfield, NJ, the hometown of the band's original line-up. The breakout popularity of Parliament-Funkadelic elevated the status of P-Funk to describe what is now considered to be a genre of music in its own right.

Well enough history already! As far as I am concerned the P in P-Funk stands for: PARTY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment