Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The emperors new clothes...

Today my sister Emily said to me "You have joined the SL fashionistas!" It's a group of people I always refer to as the Fashion Nazis myself. And I don't think I am one of them. She said this after I complained that a pair of PJs I own look too noob. I know why she laughed, a few short months ago I walked around in an all together not very attractive looking free shape and skin. Not to mention a freebie wig that looking back on it practically every guy in SL has worn at one point (you know, the shaggy black do). But it all started with shoes...

Several of my friends were always complaining I never wore any. I thought that was kinda silly since it never gets cold in SL, now does it? I does look weird maybe to be walking around in snow sans footwear, but my AV is blissfully unaware of that and besides, I have seen pictures of people walking around on the south-pole without coats (real people, no really I have). Furtermore, I thought it was delisciously rebellious to be attending a formal event with the toes in the nude. Yet one person in particular -- Who shall remain nameless, Casandra Shilova -- was very persistent. Actually what happened was, she had promised me a Christmas present, we just never found the time to go shopping together. When we finally did, she suggested we'd go buy Tulsa some shoes, and gullible me fell for it.

Now I had a pair of killer shoes, and all of a sudden every other item of clothing I owned looked exactly like what I paid for it... Nothing!

So I asked sister E. and my just as fashion-snooty (And I say that with utmost respect) friend Cas for the LMs to some good stores, bought me some reasonably good looking (and unreasonably expensive) outfits. Then one day, when I was showing off my new rags, Cas said "That is some chin, you have on that AV." Damn, I thought, the fashion police is never off-duty! But looking in the mirror I had to admit she was right...

I think it's probably no over-estimation to say I spend an entire Saturday exclusively on trying on new shapes. Surprisingly, I ended up liking one already in my inventoire (that's Frenglish for inventory) the best. But shucks, now my hair looked out of place! Not that it ever looked in place to begin with, but...

For a guy that never really cared about looks in SL, can you see the transformation happen? 'Tell you the truth, I was getting a wee bit frustrated! Luckily, Emy knew exactly the store and I found a shag (no you Brit readers, this has nothing to do with sex) that I liked. Proudly wearing (and looking) my best, Casandra instantly killed my new-found pride. "Ooh", she said about my hair "Ibiza!" What the... ? While a token of approval (in her defense) it kinda felt like showing up for a party finding that three other guys are wearing the exact same suit, so everyone there will know it is a rental.

That's the problem with wigs I guess... In RL two people can get the exact same haircut but it will still not look the same. All hair is different. Not so in Pixel Land. A wig is a wig is a wig... But damn do I look good!

So why do I still not consider myself a "Fashionista"? Two reasons really. I would never judge people on their looks, because if you wear Prada, you are the Devil. Second, I still try to get a rise out of Emy by wearing the most unruly combinations of clothes in the most insane color combinations. It's actually more fun, deliberately mismatching really good looking clothes!

Snob? Yes. Fashion nazi? No! Funky fry? Big Hell Yeah!

3 comments:

  1. What in the world is a funky fry? Amazing what a little Christmas present can do to/for a man. You do look terrific Tulsa. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a Funky Fry is a purveyor of everything funky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog just after I finished reading a Fashionista Blog and had decided I was getting tired of listening to her slam designers. A freebie is a freebie and for some people, that is what they need: a change of clothes for their av. But if you are an entertainer or otherwise in the public eye, then you will be JUDGED by what is on your back so that is very important to me. I know you like to be outrageous and I love it! it is part of your charm...

    ReplyDelete