Friday, October 30, 2009

Am I good or what?

The answer is: Or what!

I am sitting here this morning reflecting on what should have been the perfect evening in SL. Mind you it doesn't help that I have a headache, but I am left feeling slightly uneasy. I hadn't done a DJ gig in six weeks due to RL issues, so this was somewhat of a comeback-event. Maybe I was feeling slightly too cocky, or maybe six weeks is simply not long enough to be away, who knows... But the gig surely wasn't the material that makes say, Elvis's Las Vegas TV special.

First of all, it was a Halloween themed event. I picked a costume that was ultra-cool. To look at that is... I had hardly any control over my movement, so that left me with a serious lack of control of the room. The lag last night didn't help, but as an MC I need to be able to "pan" to see who is coming and going. I was in a blind spot! I had the distinct feeling that my song selection was way off. Sure people liked the music, but to me... It didn't seem to flow as nicely as I had hoped. I am gonna let the cat out the bag, the genie out of the bottle... I think that I have awesome timing. My announcements are always perfectly timed to the intro of a song. That is because I practice . I listen to each song, look for cue points, and when I am satisfied that I know the flow of the song I test talking over it. Sometimes I am reciting a grocery list for lack of anything useful to say but the point is that my speech should end right before one of those cue points. My sister Emy heard me do it last night before the show when we had an impromptu dress-rehearsal.

I had never used Rockwell's "Somebody's watching me" (which is one of those Halloween only songs) but in rehearsal I aced it at the first try. Not so during the gig. I crashed that intro completely! As I did with many others... I don't know what was up with me... Maybe being away for six weeks killed my skills?

Normally on Thursday's at Linri's I have no event's following me. I am it! The last event of the day, the head-liner if you will. I always jokingly call BBall's show my "warm-up act" Unbeknownst to me, yesterday there was an event scheduled following me... OOPS! I had selected a play-list that was slightly longer than my allotted two hour slot. I found myself having to cut songs from my set-list. I don't think I made the right choices. All in all, I was less than impressed with myself last night.

And people think that all DJ'ing is, is playing a tune and talking in between. Damn this is hard work!

2 comments:

  1. Little brother, you are way too hard on yourself. I thought you were wonderful and if there were "flubs" no one cared or noticed; they are a part of your charm and you smooth over them well. Everyone was glad to see you back. Yeah, the lineup of songs wasn't your best, but you were hampered by it being Halloween. (Don't play "Easy Lover" again, either.) You are very talented, professional, your "skills" will return if you ever lost them in the first place, and you have another chance this Sunday. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is Monday and I would have to say that last night WAS perfect! I loved it all (except for whatever glitch made me hear 4 songs at once.) You were on top of your form, the chat was fun and you stuck far less bubble gum in my hair than normal! The colors were the best: lots of green. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete