Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tired and unhappy...

I am typing this from a shiny new Mac Mini... Having used everything from DOS 3 (MS, IBM, and DR) to AT&T Unix System 5 r4, several version of Linux, OS/2 And of course Microsoft's Windows in just about every incarnation it went through... I am surprised that it's taking me so long to get used to this! I have to switch (well I will never switch, but...) In the RL job we are getting more and more question about Macs and we can't just (or so it seems) give the standard answer anymore... We sell data.... that's all we do... Saying that it isn't compatible with Mac OS, well that was an option 5 years ago. No longer seems to be so... So the company freed up some money to buy a Mac and do some research. Me being the top-dog in the IT department (sometimes I love my job), I got to take it home.

But having heard all the Apple Fanboys go monkey-shit over how great Mac OS X is, quite frankly I am disappointed. It really isn't THAT good... Apart from the eye candy (yeah, is that really gonna make my work go any faster?) what do I gain?? Frankly not much!

Ok, I have to admit that installing applications is WAY easier on a Mac. But so far that is really the only benefit I have seen. And seeing how you only have to do that once per app, you really don't win much, now do you? An why on God's green earth does my Mac insist on throwing a virtual drive (or mount volume or whatever) on my desktop every time I start up IM?? Fine, but can it be unmounted automatically when I am done??

So far SL doesn't crash any less often then on my Windows PC. My MIDI keyboard (I am a musician too) places the central C on a black key in GarageBand. What the F*CUK guys... C = C = C = C! It doesn't recognize my web cam, which is the most standard Logitech device out there... and the list goes on and on....

I am so glad that when I do a DJ gig this afternoon (sadly without my sister Emyly) I can switch back to my Windoze machine. I would not be able to run a 2 hour show on this piece of JUNK!

No comments:

Post a Comment